Friday, September 13, 2024

THE PRE-TEEN SUMMER OF REBELLIOUSNESS




 I returned from a summer in Fayetteville, Tennessee, where I had dressed as a Choctaw Indian with bleached platinum hair for 'Indian Dancing' around bonfires at Dunroamin Camp......Returning 'home', my mother was 'just over this'.....and, immediately, ordered me to 'get in the car', then ordering me to the Rexall Drug Store to get some hairdye to restore my 'normal' hair color......Pissed off at being 'ordered around'....I was 12, after all....I purchased 'Black Rage', returned to our house and dyed my hair 'jet black'.......as shown in this photo......the next day, I was 'ordered' to Wildma's Beauty Shoppe, to have my 'natural color' restored.....after all this processing, my hair 'came out'......Green! A few days later, I watched a late 1940's movie on 'the tv'......'The Boy With The Green Hair'....and felt that, now, I was....again....making a 'Statement'...which was, after all, my original intention.......'Why don't you want to look like 'other boys?', Mother asked.....My reply....I remember...."Why do you dye YOUR hair to match the color of your horse's......'Chestnut Brown'?" The next year...I was a 'redhead'.....Hey!...it 'worked' for Lucille Ball!......

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.