Saturday, August 15, 2026

THE MID-SUMMER SOLUTION....WAS, EVENTUALLY, EASIER THAN RIPPING OUT WALLS AND HAVING WORKMEN FROM A HEATING & AIR COMPANY TROMPING OVER MY ROOF....

A/C on the 'blink'.....87 degrees in my bedroom!......so, I called "The Heating & Air Company" about topping off the freon level........was told that the $16/lb (wholesale) R-22 refrigerant would cost $159/lb....but.....the hook, of course.......the EPA was not permitting the older refrigerants to be utilized...and, that I would have to replace the "unit"......$6000 (or more) and that the walls around the air handler would have to be ripped out, replaced and painted!........So, I asked....."can't you just add some freon?"........"Well, yes" the rep replied......"but it would just be a 'matter of time' until you'd have to replace this 'OLD' unit......'Units" don't have long term warranties.....like new houses, you know.....that have 15 year warranties!"......He's saying this to a man that lives in a house that's almost a hundred years old!....Out with the 'old'...in with the 'new'.....that's The American Way...... don't 'fix' it when you can just replace it and send all that 'old' stuff to the city or county dump, adding it to the millions of metric tons of crap that's already been abandoned!......Hmmmm........there's an old 'window unit' in my garage. The eventual compromised solution, nine years later, was obtained this week...at COSTCO, where i purchased a Shark 'FlexBreeze' Fan for less than $89...that I had seen, days earlier ...at BESTBUYS....for $230.70!.... Within a few hours, the room's temperature had dropped ten degrees F......and, by 10PM....I had to nap beneath a light blanket.....as the Shark Fan pulled the cooler air up the stairs from the air-conditioned area to the hot bedroom.....problem solved....and good nights' sleep seems to be, under the cool breeze....controllable via a wireless remote and adjustable directionality.....




No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.