Wednesday, July 8, 2020

On reading a Post by Tom Harper......

Even less distanced from the repressive 1950's....I was dumped into the 'hands' of the 'Fugitives" and "Agrarians", Robert Penn Warren, Donald Davidson, Allen Tate, John Aden and John Crowe Ransom.....and some now forgotten academic scholars and poets.......in 1963, of course, I thought 'What do 'they' know!....they're 'school teachers, aren't they? Isn't Faulkner the 'one'?" I never met James Dickey, until he visited Rupert Palmer, my English Dept. 'Advisor', as I sat in 'Dr." Palmer's office, being upbraided for being 'too cryptic....with too little respect for the 'writing of the past'.....Dickey dropped in with some advice: "Go for the Money!".......I thought, then, that I should have gone for the degree in Evolutional Biology and Genetics.....but the typewriter was far more appealing than the slide rule and monocular microscope, then......Hmmm, maybe I should have gone to 'ART SCHOOL'...This 'Place' wasn't MY idea, to begin with....but Mother's......It was 'this' or "Riley Munday"....shutter....In the 'long run', I'll admit, Palmer's History Of the English Language and The Morphology of Phonemes....may have 'paid off'.....I can 'write'....in my own style...with my own idiosyncratic utilization of 'Language'....as Doug Marcaida would say: "It Will cut!"....look!....there's two amoebi now!, but even after 'twenty years of schooling', I'm not certain of the plural spelling. 

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.