Recalling my first 'real' job....a 'summer job' that lasted from June-Sept (what could have been 'summer vacation') .....typing SPAM cards into a gigantic Military Computer at The Army Ballistics Administration, where it 'paid' to be fast on a keyboard, with few mistakes....programming potential Nike, Sargeant and Corporal counter-attacts...on Russia, of course, in the Event that America's then-arch-enemy were to threaten Redstone Arsenal with total annihilation or blow up the growing NASA Command Center, Bldg 4200....less than a mile away.....I remembered this "Job" while re-watching WARGAMES, the 1983 Movie......Fortunately, My 'cell' at ABMA was just five minutes drive from the Parkway Country Club, where I could have a cool swim after my day of typing toil in the un-air-conditioned Headquarters Building with that over-heating computer that kept my work cubicle at 82F, all summer.. I suggested to my parents that they should shed their useless H&E Investments Stock and reinvest in IBM! Mother DID upgrade from her ROYAL, Model 10, mechanical typewriter to a new IBM SELECTRIC, with its set of interchangeable 'golf balls'....
.jpeg)



No comments:
Post a Comment