Monday, February 22, 2021

Artsy-Fartsy Dunroamin, Camp Dunroamin....where the Choctaws, Chickasaws and Cherokees play....and we have a lot of fun every night and day.......

I Still have the striped beach towel that I wore, as Chief of the Choctaws, at Camp Dunroamin......in summer of 1957....as I accepted the 1st Place Prize for 'fastest swimmer, on his back, while reading a magazine, aloud'......and an award for 'inverted breast stroke', wearing a black  'bathing suit' covered with pink spiders.....and got to wear a feather headdress, as Chief of the 'bottled peroxide and ammonia  blondes'......thus, Big Chief of Dunroamin Camp~!   All of this was 'macho' enough to satisfy my parents.....who were grateful that I had not chosen a career as a tap dancer or Artist......Their contentment was short-lived! thanks to the indulgences of Jimmy and Havelon Gearish, the Camp's owners/operators, who taught me to weave feathers into coiled baskets, roller skate...wearing a French bikini and Jay bird feather headband, and play mixed doubles tennis, wearing my mother's old 'cabana set'.....

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.