Sunday, November 21, 2021

GIA ADVENTURE IN LONDON





 Hobnobbing at Goldsmith's Hall, Oct, 1981......at the 50 Years of Gemmology, Golden Jubilee.....Meeting all the then famous gemologists, Richard Liddicott, head of GIA, Robert Crowningshield and Dr. Eduard Gubelin, the 'father' of modern gemology...with my friend Jeannie Litchfield......At a dinner party, afterwards, at Lloyds of London....I was treated to 'see'...not touch!.....the deBeers collection of rare colored diamonds......one thing leading to another, I met the Lady Mary Grosvenor, who took me to her bank vault and handed me a box of jewelry worn by her ancestors, instructing me to 'take them to Atlanta and sell them.....whispering, a bit drunk, "I can't sell them in London because my friends will think I 'need money'!" This was the 'lift off' for my career at that time...

1 comment:

vaporcloud said...

https://www.gia.edu/doc/Fall-2003-Gems-Gemology-Robert-Crowningshield.pdf

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.