Tuesday, August 19, 2008

hens and chicks

my first succulent.
.
Posted by Picasa

it keeps reproducing and growing....it is winter-hardy in Georgia,
appearing to die, yet emerging again, the next summer....bigger
and more beautiful........its many offspring having found homes
with friends........I have plants that belonged to my Grandmother
that remind me that our short lifespans are miniscule compared
to many ancient plants, some of which have lived for centuries,
even thousands of years.......
I have always been wary of individuals who have no plants around them
or who do not nourish and protect plants.....or animals or people.............
during grad school, i got a job making terrariums and bonsai........it was
always so heartbreaking to be called in for "plant maintenance" only to
find plants dying of abuse or neglect..........so were the spirits
of those who called...... It has become increasingly difficult for me to leave
my home for even a few days.....there are so many plants in my home and
around it that require my care and concern.........I would have enjoyed a
career as a botanist or even an attendant at an indoor botanical garden....
even the last emperor of China spent his last years, in relative seclusion,caring for plants, in peace...........

Book 2 CD1 Well-Tempered Clavier by Daniel Ben Pienaar

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.